Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Forging a place in Solforge...Part 2

This is the second installment in my continuing travels in the world of Solforge.

I am continuing to play the game and learn some of the tactics that had earlier eluded me. This is not to say I am any sort of an expert...because I am far from being even competent at this point. But I do enjoy it when I pull out a nice series of plays that really all seem to come together the way I envision the developers intended.

One thing I have become aware of is the power of the Savants! Early on I had heard people mention these cards but I wasnt clear on exactly what the were referring to. Well I finally got a couple of them and see what all the fuss is about. They are VERY powerful. On top of that they are only considered "Rare" so they are permitted in "Un-Heroic" tournaments and so on.


In my Nekrium/Uterra deck I only have 2 Lifeshaper Savants and 1 Darkshaper Savant (you can have up to 3 of each in a deck) and I can already see the power of them. You can see in the pic above...at level 2 the Darkshaper gives -3/-3 to enemy target (Lifeshaper gives +3/+3 to another target). The level 3 versions go up to 5/5. If you get a couple of these out and make two card plays to activate them you can get a chain of ludicrous proportions going. It feels awesome and a bit....cheap and dirty all at the same time.

From most the reading I have done 98% of the decks people are playing have the full compliment of 6 Savants in the deck if they own them. Each of the four factions have their own version. 

I am a bit concerned about this as it makes it seem like either you have Savants or you will lose. In practice I have seen it as such as well. I can win nearly all matches against Hard Ai now when using my "Savant" deck...I cant say the same for my non use deck. I have also had better results against players as well. I played about 7 games against players over the course of last two days. I won 3 and lost 4 with my Savant deck. In the ones I won I got lucky and got the only Savants I had early and was able to get an early advantage. In the ones I lost my opponents always had Savants and got the advantage early on me.

So again...this is a bit concerning...but the game is very early in its development still. They have a ton of features to add. I am sure some tweaking to things like this can happen. All it takes is for them to introduce one card that say "Give all your units +2/+2 for each Savant your opponent has in play" and then things shift. Im sure they have more elegant ways then my suggestion I thought of as I typed this update.

Anyway..Im continuing to play. Continuing to learn. Continuing to forge.


No comments:

Post a Comment